Mar 4, 2011

How to Earn Money from Your Blog

To tell the truth, I have not earned enough money from this blog to actually write a post on how to earn from it, but two friends cajoled me into writing this.

Anyway, I'm also writing this post anyway to share my experiences, and also to answer a question once asked once by one of my readers: Do you actually earn money from Google ads and Nuffnang ads?


Google and Nuffnang

One of the reasons I started this blog was to have a place to put Google ads in. These are a good way of earning passive income while you do something you enjoy -- blogging.

Now I started this blog in January 2010, and as of last checking two seconds ago, I've earned $18.95 (about Php821.00) from Google ads, which I had added to my blog soon after I put the blog up. As for Nuffnang ads, which I added to my blog in November 2010, I've so far earned Php133.

If you want to earn from ads:

You need readers. You need blog traffic. You need reader-friendly layout. And you need time.

There are plenty of Internet resources that will tell you how to get blog traffic, but one thing they will all tell you is (1) you need to post quality content regularly and (2) build a network by commenting on other blogs.

One thing that has helped me promote my blog too is by building a Facebook page for it. If you have Facebook or Twitter, leverage those to promote your blog.

Now when people reach your blog, don't drive them away with a cluttered layout. (Somebody please tell me, by the way, if you find my layout cluttered.) Keep your sidebar as simple as possible without sacrificing functionality.

And make it easy for people to subscribe to your blog by giving them an e-mail subscription option. If you don't know how, read my previous post, How to Add E-mail Subscription to Your Blog.

Now the hardest part is to wait. As time passes by, you will get more readers and your ads will get more clicks. Just wait, and while you're waiting, keep writing.

(To all you wonderful people who have been clicking on my ads, thank you!)

Paid links and paid posts

I must admit I've tried a few of these, but since my blog targets Philippine readers, there are just not enough opportunities for me to earn money from these.

If your blog targets an international audience or at least North America and Europe, you may have better luck with paid posts.

Direct advertising

A blog can be a great marketing tool. You want to sell something? Tell your readers about your wares! I've had a pretty good stint with selling G-Cash and Globe Autoload, and my buyers all found me through my blog!

(I've discontinued the service though. Some PayPal trouble. Click here to see how the story starts, and here to see how it ended.)

If you're more comfortable selling through Multiply or eBay, you can link to your store sites from your blogs. We will be happier to buy from people whom we know and trust through their blogs rather than from somebody completely anonymous.

If you have questions or suggestions on how other moms (and dads) can also earn through their blogs, please let us know!