May 18, 2011

The Question of Abortion

Our third child in six years. How poorer
in joy we would now be if he had been
inadvertently aborted.
In the midst of the RH bill debates, please allow me, my dear readers, to express my two-cents' worth.

I am for age-appropriate sex education. I am for the spacing of children. I am for the education of women.

But I am against abortion. And I feel that many of us do not realize one important thing: The birth control pill – the most popular method of artificial contraception, which the RH bill promotes – has an abortive effect.

Hidden abortion

I'm not a medical expert, so don't take my word for it.

The Physician’s Desk Reference, on the other hand, is the most frequently used reference book by physicians in America. In it is articulated the research findings of all the birth control pill manufacturers, that there are not one but three mechanisms of birth control pills:

1. inhibiting ovulation (the primary mechanism),
2. thickening the cervical mucus, thereby making it more difficult for sperm to travel to the egg, and
3. thinning and shriveling the lining of the uterus to the point that it is unable or less able to facilitate the implantation of the newly fertilized egg.

The first two mechanisms are contraceptive. The third is abortive.

In layman terms, it means that although the Pill is designed to prevent ovulation, in the event that it fails – and that happens – it has a back-up method: It makes the uterus inhospitable to the embryo, so it cannot implant and is, therefore, aborted.

When we take the Pill, how will we know for sure that abortion rather than contraception had taken place? We don't. But now, we know that we are consciously taking a pill that puts a fertilized embryo at risk of being aborted.

Pro revised RH bill

Am I anti-RH? I am against the RH bill in its current form.

As I said, I am for age-appropriate sex education. I am for the spacing of children. I am for the education of women.

But I am against abortion. And I don't want a bill that promotes it in any way, however hidden. I want a revised RH bill.

What about you? Are you against abortion too?