Jun 1, 2010

Homeschooling: It's Possible in the Philippines

The best teacher for our kids is the one who loves them most. 

So a lot of you already know that I'm homeschooling my kids. There are several reasons why I do so, and I think a couple of these reasons will be interesting for other busy Filipino moms like me:

1. We get to set our own time. Homeschooling lets me set our classes at a time convenient for my kids and me. Since I do most of my work at night, it helps a lot that I don't have to wake up at five a.m. to make sure my kids are dressed and fed before a six o'clock school bus comes to bring them to school.

So what time do we hold our homeschool? In this household, class time starts at 9 p.m. and ends when the kids fall asleep.

2. We get to set our own expenses. This, I must admit, is not a small factor in our decision to homeschool. Our income is not steady, and it is often limited. That's why I'm fixated on extra income opportunities.

With homeschooling, we have better control of our expenses:

  • Which sports to let the kids take, and when?
  • Where and when to have field trips?
  • Which books to get, and when to buy them? (And do we get brand new or secondhand?)
Plus, we are able to save on daily allowances, school service fees, miscellaneous fees, graduation fees, not to mention tuition fees.

Those are the two practical reasons I have for homeschooling my kids.

There are other, more significant reasons too -- but those are more about my personal values and no longer about simple practicality, so I will not discuss them here. Still, I am always happy to talk about homeschooling, so if you have questions about it, please feel free to email me or leave a comment.